Tuesday 11 May 2010

If I Had One Wish... I would be a gypsy



Dearest Devotees,

Spinning silks in shades of light
Velvet dark as shadowed night.

Whirling dancers with eyes like jet
Centuries have not tamed us yet!




Ever since I first watched Gypsy Girl when I was 10, and read all of the books in the series by Elizabeth Arnold about a young gypsy girl who lived with her gypsy family in their caravan at the end of a suburban street, I've been intrigued by the romanticized gypsy life. All the colors in their clothes and in their homes, their free-spiritedness, closeness to nature and artistic abilities, their inherent quirkiness and individuality, and familial closeness caught my attention. Our shared love of traveling and the fact that I have spent most of my life on the move, also attracted me and ever since then my style has had some romany (gypsy-related) elements in it. If you are like me and harbor dreams of being a gypsy, read on.


Fashion and Style
The easiest way to embrace this style is by channeling your bohemian leanings. The bohemian trend was largely influenced by romany style dressing. So think gypsy skirts, peasant tops, tunics, exotic prints, tons of jewelry and color (especially jewel tones).



Beauty
When it comes to the gypsy style beauty there are two ways you can go: natural or jeweled. The Natural look has to do with accenting your current attributes in such a way that you don't look like you are wearing make-up. The jeweled look has to do with jewel tone polish and eye-shadow, smokey-black eyes with black mascara and eyeliner and lightly glosses lips.



What to do

Try out palm reading.

Go thrift store and antique shop hunting. You can probably pick up some really fantastic unique pieces for your wardrobe.

Listen to "indie" type music. Think lighthearted, light-spirited acoustic style music e.g anything Iron and Wine, Blue glass by Furlough, etc.

Go horseback riding.

Take your favorite art supplies ( notebook and pen, sketchbook and pencil, paints, camera, etc) and go to your closest connection to nature. Spend an afternoon allowing nature to inspire you.

Lay in a field and watch clouds go by or if its raining feel free to play in the rain.

Have friends and family over, and have a bonfire/campfire night out. Dance around the campfire.

Go flower and/or fruit picking.

Explore a nearby town, a different neighborhood, or if you can't physically go anywhere try heading to the library and distancing yourself from reality through reading.

Don't forget to have fun on your own and with other people.

Love you all and Stay inspired,




P.S. So let me know know what you think. Have you ever desired to be a traveller/gypsy/Romany? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.

P.P.S I am in no way an expert and honestly this is all for fun, and based off fictional gypsies. I do not intend to offend anyone and if you happen to know more about the subject I would most definitely love to hear from you via email at aury4eva@gmail.com.

12 comments:

amanda leeann said...

thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

i love this post! jewel tones, iron & wine, thrift stores, and horseback riding are all up my alley :)

Anonymous said...

I read a great book called "The Gypsy Game" once, and I love the idea of being one aesthetically. Especially the sketchbook idea. Stupendous post!

Jeff King said...

I would love to travel and see the world... free and full of life, sharing it with the ones I love--what could be better than that?

Thx for sharing.

emma wallace said...

Ha! I've always, always wanted to be a gypsy and in fact I'm wearing my ruby red gypsy shirt today! I just love the wandering spirit and the freedom.

iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I so like the gypsy style. Some great ideas too! & I love the band Iron & Wine. Also one my favorite places..the library.

ellie said...

wow, I really liked this one. I've always liked the gypsy style. & thanks so much for the great things to try too. I'd love to go berry picking.

Unknown said...

Such lovely items you have in your picks. So pretty.

I agree with trying new things like that. I love indie music, and well, some days its nice to discover a new place to eat in a different part of town..sometimes, its like going on a vacation..and you didn't know it would be so close.

Erin Kim said...

I love that dress on the very left! :) I think it'd be pretty fun to be a gypsy and travel the world, but I would miss the security of home. :] And I think palm reading is fun too, not something to take tooo seriously but definitely fun. :)

Leia said...

i would LOVE to be a gypsy, I even have a set of tarot cards! :P

Cafe Fashionista said...

Oh, I adore this, Aury! I have always felt a desire to live my life as a nomad. To simply travel from place to place looking glamorous and always being mysterious!! :)

D. said...

I like this idea - maybe I'll use it tomorrow morning!

Anonymous said...

The picks are lovely, but I am Romany and am a little uncomfortable with the stereotypes.

I am not offended, of course, but the history of my people would be more accurately described as "persecuted and "falsely imprisoned" than "lighthearted" and "free." Very few of us are nomadic, as well. My family lived in the same house in Prague for generations until all but a few of my relatives were killed in the Holocaust. So it's weird for me to read "I would love to be a Gypsy!" and similar sentiments.

Let me reiterate, I know no harm is intended and I dig the spirit of the post, but I just wanted to raise some awareness.

Post a Comment

Hello my darlings!
Thank you, thank you,Thank You for deciding to leave a comment :) I just love hearing from you and interacting with you amazing people. This is why I blog. I love comments, compliments, and totally accept words of advice given in a friendly and positive manner. Negativity is not welcome here. I love all of my darling devotees and would never want to hurt you. I hope you feel the same way, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Polyvore: Inspiration centre

Popular Posts

Welcome!

"Come with me,
and See this World,
Through the eyes
of an Ordinary Girl"

An Ordinary Girl's World is a blog for stylish and artistic teens, college students and young adults, creatively finding their way in this world. Its about expressing yourself through your personal style, your lifestyle, your relationships and friendships.
This site will feature articles on fashion, love and life in general, with topics ranging from the latest trends in fashion, beauty and lifestyle, personal style, artistic inspiration pieces and real life survival guides.
Email address:
aury4eva@gmail.com


About Me

Frannie
Hello! I am Frannie a.k.a Frances Anne and I am a 21 year old Catholic Missionary. I am Nigerian but have lived all over the world and I currently live and serve in the U.S. I love God, others and life in general. I bubble over with joy everyday and would love to share my joy with you.
View my complete profile

My Devotees


Say Hey My darlings

Say Hey My darlings
Have questions, comments? Need advice? Feel free to email me:aury4eva@gmail.com

I love my darlings

I love my darlings
from Canadieren

Follow AOGW with bloglovin

Follow An Ordinary Girls World: Fashion, Love, Life

Want to receive posts by email?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Go Green too, darlings