Monday 4 January 2010

2010 Artistic Retreat: Movie Day


Photo from: gettysgirl

Day 3: Movie Day!

Oh devotees, I am so excited about today! Why you may wonder? Because, ever since I read a paticular article on the Secret Society of List Addicts I have been looking for a day where I could devote my time to watching and analysing certain movies. You see, in many ways film and television are treasure chests of inspiration waiting to be uncovered. A lot of the time people claim watching television is a passive activity, but that doesn't mean it can't be active. Whenever I watch something with a particular goal in mind, I find that I become a lot more aware of what is happening on the screen. I'm kicked into analytic mode and begin to look at things in a more intense way. You know when you've just finished watching a movie and people ask you what it was about and you just can't (for the life of you) remember? Yeah, that doesn't happen to me when I'm like this.

The real object of the drama is the exhibition of the human character.

-Thomas Babington Macaulay

I believe that television and film evolved from drama and therefore aim to reflect common human experiences to the audience. Since art comes from powerful emotions caused by experiences, it follows that watching movies and tv shows should open your mind to different parts of life you may not have had firsthand experience in, giving you the opportunity to derive inspiration from them.

Assignment Summary:
  1. Get hold of movies that you feel may give you a peek into a life that is different from your own, whether its movies set in a different society, time, or world (They can be old or new, related to your field or not).


  2. Note things that you're attracted to/inspired by in these movies. Ask yourself the following questions:

-How is life in the movie different from your own life? How is it similar?

-What do you like about the movie? What don't you like?

-What you do you find interesting? Is it real/factual. Note it down for further research.

Write down your answers in the retreat notebook.

My Interpretation:

Like I mentioned before I'm watching/ rewatching all the movies on this list as well as some others like A walk to remember and The Other Boleyn Girl. I'm also going to watch some of my favorite style shows like Gok's Fashion Fix and Stylista. I strongly recommend Vicky Christina Barcelona, if you haven't watched it too. As usual, I'll get back to you with some of my answers later.

Love you all and Stay inspired,




P.S. So let me know what you think. What movies/shows are you watching? Why are you watching them. Feel free to let me know in your comments below.

P.P.S Sorry about the late post. My server was down for quite some time.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love A Walk To Remember!

Frannie said...

- Fashionography
So do I! It's so sweet, sad but sweet!
:)

Cafe Fashionista said...

I am watching "Serendipity," and "The Virgin Suicides." Serendipity is on my list because I love the thought of fate; and The Virgin Suicides has made an appearance because the haunting elegance of it is irresistible.

By the way, I adore A Walk to Remember. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the Other Boleyn Girl! Have you read Phillipa Gregory's other novels? They're AMAZING, I believe you would like them!

Frannie said...

-Cafe Fashionista:
I've wanted to watch Serendipity for quite some time now, it sounds really interesting. And I'm just going to go ahead and add the Virgin Suicides to my list of movies to watch. :)
-Luinae:
I have not read them, and now I must. You see, ever since the 5th grade I've been in love with anything to do with old England especially Elizabethan and Shakespearean times so that's part of the reason I need to see the Other Boleyn girl, and read the book. You should read the Black Pearl, I think you'll really like it.
xoxo

Frannie said...

My answers:

In most of the movies I watched the people lived in different time periods from me. This made me think about how the world has changed over time and how society has changed. It also showed me that people still have the same emotions and general life experiences no matter what time period they lived in. This is why art is so transcient, because no matter the situation or background, everyone can relate to the emotions being portrayed by a great work of art.

Post a Comment

Hello my darlings!
Thank you, thank you,Thank You for deciding to leave a comment :) I just love hearing from you and interacting with you amazing people. This is why I blog. I love comments, compliments, and totally accept words of advice given in a friendly and positive manner. Negativity is not welcome here. I love all of my darling devotees and would never want to hurt you. I hope you feel the same way, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Polyvore: Inspiration centre

Popular Posts

Welcome!

"Come with me,
and See this World,
Through the eyes
of an Ordinary Girl"

An Ordinary Girl's World is a blog for stylish and artistic teens, college students and young adults, creatively finding their way in this world. Its about expressing yourself through your personal style, your lifestyle, your relationships and friendships.
This site will feature articles on fashion, love and life in general, with topics ranging from the latest trends in fashion, beauty and lifestyle, personal style, artistic inspiration pieces and real life survival guides.
Email address:
aury4eva@gmail.com


About Me

Frannie
Hello! I am Frannie a.k.a Frances Anne and I am a 21 year old Catholic Missionary. I am Nigerian but have lived all over the world and I currently live and serve in the U.S. I love God, others and life in general. I bubble over with joy everyday and would love to share my joy with you.
View my complete profile

My Devotees


Say Hey My darlings

Say Hey My darlings
Have questions, comments? Need advice? Feel free to email me:aury4eva@gmail.com

I love my darlings

I love my darlings
from Canadieren

Follow AOGW with bloglovin

Follow An Ordinary Girls World: Fashion, Love, Life

Want to receive posts by email?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Go Green too, darlings