Sunday 3 January 2010

2010 Artistic Retreat: Stop and Capture


Day 2: Stop and Capture


Today I encourage you to get up and move. This exercise is about opening up your senses to everything around you. I want you to take some time to see things more closely, hear things more clearly and generally observe your surroundings in a more defined way. If you're a writer, I want you to take your notebook and describe something that catches your eyes in a way that creates a perfect picture of what you've seen in words. If your a photographer, test your skills by trying out different shots or different angles of looking at everyday things. If you're a dancer observe the way people, or even animals, move , whether it's in their everyday lives ( think yoga, gymnastics, other forms of dance or even any sport really) or during performances. The more aware you become the more easily inspiration will come to you.


Last semester, although immensely challenging in some ways, taught me a lot about myself and people in general. I was under a lot of pressure to find my major (or majors) and to begin to work towards a certain career, and I had just transferred from another school. I was very confused about what I wanted to do, so one day I bought a book called The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People by Carol Eikleberry, PhD. It's a really good book and I totally recommend it. In the book, she talked about how the ability to create stems from the ability to perceive and build on / or translate accurately what you have perceived. We usually go through creative blocks when we are under so much stress or hassle that we are too distracted by daily life to stop and see things clearly. Little breaks in routine tend you to give the chance to get over this dull, dreary or blocked feeling and give you a fresh outlook on life. If there's one thing I learnt last year, it's this: No one is a robot. You can't keep running like the energizer bunny. Breaks are totally ok.


Summary of Assignment


  • Take something to record what you perceive: a video camera, camera, a recorder, a notepad, a sketchpad anything, and go for a walk.


  • Note everything you see, hear, feel, that captures your interest. Try to capture it as best as you can.

  • Go over everything and assess how well you captured what you perceived.


  • Write down in your notebook: what you perceived, and what attracted you to certain things.

My Interpretation:


I'm taking a walk round this lovely park that I've only ever driven by before. I'm gonna take pictures and my notepad and try to capture and describe things as best as I can. When I'm done, I'll see if I can post some of the pictures with my answers later.

(Photo from: adornments on Flickr )

Love you all and Stay inspired,




P.S. So let me know what you think. Feel free to give me your answers and or links in the comments below, or you could email them to me too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really clever idea, I think I'll do the writer activity today. Thank you!

Frannie said...

-Luinae
Thanks love!

Kathryn said...

I would love to exchange links!

Frannie said...

-Fashionography:
great! I've done it!

Frannie said...

- So I couldn't post the pictures in the comments but probably will post them during my S.I. post on the weekend.
I noticed I was attracted to was lights and shadows and especially the look of the twilight period (just after sunset). I was drawn to houses that had an old world feel to them, with vines creeping up their crumbling walls.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I must admit, I truly adore these artistic retreat posts of yours, Aury. They inspire me to do so much!! :)

Frannie said...

-Cafe Fashionista:
Aww!!! I'm really happy to hear that :)

Post a Comment

Hello my darlings!
Thank you, thank you,Thank You for deciding to leave a comment :) I just love hearing from you and interacting with you amazing people. This is why I blog. I love comments, compliments, and totally accept words of advice given in a friendly and positive manner. Negativity is not welcome here. I love all of my darling devotees and would never want to hurt you. I hope you feel the same way, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Polyvore: Inspiration centre

Popular Posts

Welcome!

"Come with me,
and See this World,
Through the eyes
of an Ordinary Girl"

An Ordinary Girl's World is a blog for stylish and artistic teens, college students and young adults, creatively finding their way in this world. Its about expressing yourself through your personal style, your lifestyle, your relationships and friendships.
This site will feature articles on fashion, love and life in general, with topics ranging from the latest trends in fashion, beauty and lifestyle, personal style, artistic inspiration pieces and real life survival guides.
Email address:
aury4eva@gmail.com


About Me

Frannie
Hello! I am Frannie a.k.a Frances Anne and I am a 21 year old Catholic Missionary. I am Nigerian but have lived all over the world and I currently live and serve in the U.S. I love God, others and life in general. I bubble over with joy everyday and would love to share my joy with you.
View my complete profile

My Devotees


Say Hey My darlings

Say Hey My darlings
Have questions, comments? Need advice? Feel free to email me:aury4eva@gmail.com

I love my darlings

I love my darlings
from Canadieren

Follow AOGW with bloglovin

Follow An Ordinary Girls World: Fashion, Love, Life

Want to receive posts by email?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Go Green too, darlings