Monday 25 January 2010

Seeking Inspiration: According to me (and you!!!)


Photo from : The Art of Jordan

Dearest Devotees,


Why is it that when it comes to the people we love, we can't bear to let anything less than stellar happen to them, but when it comes to ourselves we tolerate all sorts of imperfections and negative criticisms?


This week I've been in love with Orianthi's song According to You because it made me realise how I tend to put other's opinion of me over my own. I let myself get hurt by what others say about me and base my self perception on their opinions. But this wrong because no one in this world really knows you better than you do. You are the only one that knows everything that goes on in your life and how it really affects you. You are the only one who knows your whole story and are therefore the best judge of yourself. Being aware of this is important, not only in evaluating your work but also in evaluating your life in general. If something happens that makes you second-guess yourself step out of the situation and look at the whole picture. Ask what caused the event and give solid reasons e.g I didn't do well because I didn't study when I should have as opposed to I didn't do well because I'm just not as smart as everyone else.



For example, last semester I was not getting the grades I aspired to in my classes and started wondering if I was good enough to be at my new school. It was really upsetting me and making me lose faith in my abilities, but one day I sat down on my bed and tried to figure out what was happening to cause the poor performance. I soon realised that something similar had happened at the beginning of freshman year at my old school, and that it was as a result of transitioning and adapting to a new way of life. I decided to realign my goals to reflect this change and to give myself time to adapt. By stepping back from a situation and looking at the big picture you are able to judge yourself in a healthy way that encourages growth and improvement. Remember that your opinion matters most. Treat yourself well and make sure you get the best because you deserve it.



Inspirational links:



College Fashion's How to Establish Your Style Trademark is such a great read!



I desire to be indie! It sounds like such a fun life!



I must see the Bright Star movie! Such imagination! Such beauty!



My current love for Criminal Minds must have stemmed from my love for Sherlock Holmes, and that was before I knew he had such style!




Here is this week's exercise:







My translation:


It burns from within.


Like a fire it consumes everything in its path.


Within reason, I know not where it came from

Had I foreseen it in my mind's eye,

Maybe then I would not be so full of disdain.

For it has turned my free will to ashes;


My choice to nothing but scraps in its flames and,


Looking back on it now, I know that it may some day come again .


Love you all and Stay inspired,




P.S. So let me know what you think. What does the image make you think of? How does it make you feel? How would you translate those feelings into art work? And have you seen either of the movies featured? What did you think of them? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I choreographed a dance from this with my new hard shoes! I love these weekly exercies, they get my juices flowing. It was a dance about a girl who is comsumed by a fiery love and dies. Not too cheerful, but the dance turned out well!

Here I scribble said...

nice post.. it's so true- only we know ourselves fully..still we chose to prefer other's opinions of us.

Frannie said...

- Luinae:
That's great! I hope you recorded it. I feel like it would be really wonderful to have as a reference to see how far you've come one day.

- DT:
Thanks DT! It's a natural human reaction but one that doesn't really help us in the long run.

xoxoxoxo

:)

Kathryn said...

That picture is incredible.

Laura Michaud said...

That photo makes me think of putting the past completely behind you and moving forward and starting fresh:-) Hence the butterfly! A great inspirational thought for anyone who is trying to get over a bad childhood or any problems that they have had to go through in their life and they just want to start over:-)

Sherin said...

Fabulous post! I loved the link to the 'how to be more indie'. Very inspirational!

Frannie said...

-Fashionography:
Thanks dearest! :)

-Laura's Style:
I love your interpretation! That's what I was trying to portray.

-Sherin:
Thanks Darling! I loved it too! Super funny but also really inspirational too.

xoxoxo

Cafe Fashionista said...

As always, a lovely post, Aury. The photograph you've featured here makes me instantly think of burning all negativity within my life and setting myself free to be who I am. I haven't seen either movies myself; but I'm absolutely dying to see Sherlock Holmes!! :)

Frannie said...

-Cafe Fashionista:
Thanks Darling! And I'm dying to see Sherlock Holmes too! You should get Bright Star, its on DVD now, is an independent movie I believe about John Keats and I really think you'd love it!

Post a Comment

Hello my darlings!
Thank you, thank you,Thank You for deciding to leave a comment :) I just love hearing from you and interacting with you amazing people. This is why I blog. I love comments, compliments, and totally accept words of advice given in a friendly and positive manner. Negativity is not welcome here. I love all of my darling devotees and would never want to hurt you. I hope you feel the same way, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Polyvore: Inspiration centre

Popular Posts

Welcome!

"Come with me,
and See this World,
Through the eyes
of an Ordinary Girl"

An Ordinary Girl's World is a blog for stylish and artistic teens, college students and young adults, creatively finding their way in this world. Its about expressing yourself through your personal style, your lifestyle, your relationships and friendships.
This site will feature articles on fashion, love and life in general, with topics ranging from the latest trends in fashion, beauty and lifestyle, personal style, artistic inspiration pieces and real life survival guides.
Email address:
aury4eva@gmail.com


About Me

Frannie
Hello! I am Frannie a.k.a Frances Anne and I am a 21 year old Catholic Missionary. I am Nigerian but have lived all over the world and I currently live and serve in the U.S. I love God, others and life in general. I bubble over with joy everyday and would love to share my joy with you.
View my complete profile

My Devotees


Say Hey My darlings

Say Hey My darlings
Have questions, comments? Need advice? Feel free to email me:aury4eva@gmail.com

I love my darlings

I love my darlings
from Canadieren

Follow AOGW with bloglovin

Follow An Ordinary Girls World: Fashion, Love, Life

Want to receive posts by email?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Go Green too, darlings