Why is it that when it comes to the people we love, we can't bear to let anything less than stellar happen to them, but when it comes to ourselves we tolerate all sorts of imperfections and negative criticisms?
This week I've been in love with Orianthi's song According to You because it made me realise how I tend to put other's opinion of me over my own. I let myself get hurt by what others say about me and base my self perception on their opinions. But this wrong because no one in this world really knows you better than you do. You are the only one that knows everything that goes on in your life and how it really affects you. You are the only one who knows your whole story and are therefore the best judge of yourself. Being aware of this is important, not only in evaluating your work but also in evaluating your life in general. If something happens that makes you second-guess yourself step out of the situation and look at the whole picture. Ask what caused the event and give solid reasons e.g I didn't do well because I didn't study when I should have as opposed to I didn't do well because I'm just not as smart as everyone else.
For example, last semester I was not getting the grades I aspired to in my classes and started wondering if I was good enough to be at my new school. It was really upsetting me and making me lose faith in my abilities, but one day I sat down on my bed and tried to figure out what was happening to cause the poor performance. I soon realised that something similar had happened at the beginning of freshman year at my old school, and that it was as a result of transitioning and adapting to a new way of life. I decided to realign my goals to reflect this change and to give myself time to adapt. By stepping back from a situation and looking at the big picture you are able to judge yourself in a healthy way that encourages growth and improvement. Remember that your opinion matters most. Treat yourself well and make sure you get the best because you deserve it.
College Fashion's How to Establish Your Style Trademark is such a great read!
I desire to be indie! It sounds like such a fun life!
I must see the Bright Star movie! Such imagination! Such beauty!
My current love for Criminal Minds must have stemmed from my love for Sherlock Holmes, and that was before I knew he had such style!
Here is this week's exercise:
It burns from within.
Like a fire it consumes everything in its path.
Within reason, I know not where it came from
Had I foreseen it in my mind's eye,
Maybe then I would not be so full of disdain.
For it has turned my free will to ashes;
My choice to nothing but scraps in its flames and,
Looking back on it now, I know that it may some day come again .
P.S. So let me know what you think. What does the image make you think of? How does it make you feel? How would you translate those feelings into art work? And have you seen either of the movies featured? What did you think of them? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.
Love AOGW: Stay in touch
Picture from: Overstock Is it a dress? Is it a coat? I don't know dear readers and quite frankly I don't care. These coats are ...
Photo from : We heart it Dearest Devotees, Happy Saint Patrick's Day Darlings! Since I love the Irish, Northern Ireland and scho...
Name : Kimora Lee Simmons born Kimora Lee Perkins Career : Former Model, Current Fashion Designer, CEO of Phat Fashions Bio : Kimora was...
Photo Dearest Devotees, I know I've been gone awhile and I'm sorry. I've been away discovering myself. I will let you k...
Dearest Devotees, Pain, disappointment, hurt. These are things that no one can avoid in this life, no matter how charmed their exis...
and See this World,
Through the eyes
of an Ordinary Girl"
An Ordinary Girl's World is a blog for stylish and artistic teens, college students and young adults, creatively finding their way in this world. Its about expressing yourself through your personal style, your lifestyle, your relationships and friendships.
This site will feature articles on fashion, love and life in general, with topics ranging from the latest trends in fashion, beauty and lifestyle, personal style, artistic inspiration pieces and real life survival guides.
Email address: email@example.com
- Guest post at Here I Scribble: Healing a Broken He...
- Life's Little Lessons: Life Doesn't always turn ou...
- Seeking Inspiration: According to me (and you!!!)
- Love and Relationships: Music therapy- Self Encour...
- Trendlight/How to Rock: Feathers and Flowers and B...
- Seeking Inspiration: Whatever it takes
- A day in the life: My First Blogger Award!!!
- A day in the life: Love to Haiti
- How to Budget Shop: The Ultimate Shopping List
- Life's Little Lessons: Don't undermine the power o...
- Seeking Inspiration: Stories by Polaroid
- How to Budget Shop: Income,Outcome and All that ja...
- 2010 Artistic Retreat: Making it last forever
- 2010 Artistic Retreat: Museums, galleries and anyw...
- 2010 Artistic Retreat: Online Hunting
- 2010 Artistic Retreat: To the Library!
- 2010 Artistic Retreat: Movie Day
- 2010 Artistic Retreat: Stop and Capture
- 2010 Artistic Retreat: Starting From Within
- A day in the life: Happy 2010!!!
- ▼ January (20)
- Hello! I am Frannie a.k.a Frances Anne and I am a 21 year old Catholic Missionary. I am Nigerian but have lived all over the world and I currently live and serve in the U.S. I love God, others and life in general. I bubble over with joy everyday and would love to share my joy with you.