Thursday 21 January 2010

Trendlight/How to Rock: Feathers and Flowers and Bows oh my!



I'm not exactly sure when it happened but somehow, over the course of the winter, statement hair accessories have risen to the top of many a stylista's must-have list. From big beautiful bows to dainty feathery hairbands, these statement hair accessories add instant glamour to any outfit and are quite easy to wear well. I adore them! When I cut my hair short at the beginning of winter, I was looking for something to accessorise and play up my new haircut and when I got to So Good Jewelry on Newbury Street I was astounded by the selection. They are like cocktail rings and dearest devotees, I love cocktail rings. If you haven't already bought some I totally recommend that you do while sales are still on because these are really good transition pieces that you can use to accessorise as it gets warmer.

How to rock


Like I said before they are relatively easy to use but here are a few tips on how to work them into an outfit.

1. Let them take centre stage on your face: I find that when you wear a really gorgeous hair accessory, earrings and make-up should be more low key, so that they don't have to fight for attention.


2. Pick a complementary or contrasting colour: Either will make a statement.

3. Be conscious of your hair style: It goes without saying that certain pieces go better with certain hair styles. Find the one that works best on your favorite hairstyle or get a variety like I have.

4. Try using using pieces in unusual ways: Why don't you work a scarf into your next updo? Or you could try attaching a flower pin to a gorgeous but simple headband.


5. Redefine the meaning of perfect occassion: Wear a vintage pearl and silver wedding-esque piece on a fun night out or a glamourous evening feathery band to class.


Photos from: glitz4girl.com and pluma


Love you all and Stay inspired,








P.S. So let me know what you think. What do you think of this trend? Do you own any fabulous hair accessories (vintage or otherwise)? How do you rock them? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.

6 comments:

Laura Michaud said...

I love anything with feathers. A girl friend of mine made me a pair of feather earrings a while back. They make me think of a 70's sort of vibe. Very cool:-)

Leia said...

I love headbands!

Cafe Fashionista said...

About five years ago, before Gossip Girl even came on air, I was absolutely obsessed with ostentatious hair accessories and refused to leave the house without wearing one. By the time the trend came about, however, I was already tired of it. Now I'm starting to get into it again - I definitely need to pick up a feather headband!! :)

Frannie said...

-Laura's style:
Me too! and I've always felt a special connection to the 70s.

-Leia:
I do too! They turn a rather simple hairdo into something gorgeous.

-Cafe Fashionista:
Wow, you were like years ahead of this trend girl, and somehow I'm not surprised. Totally pick up a feather one, they scream 20s holywood glamour for me. I have 2,and may probably get more soon. :)

:) xoxoxooxo

Leia said...

I love hair accessories!

Anisha said...

I've always loved headpieces of any kind. I love trying new things for my hair.

For a while, I didn't use any at all as I had blonde and purple highlights on one side and that was enough :D

Lately, I have purchased several pieces made from feathers that blend in well with my hair so that I can wear them during daytime as well :D

Post a Comment

Hello my darlings!
Thank you, thank you,Thank You for deciding to leave a comment :) I just love hearing from you and interacting with you amazing people. This is why I blog. I love comments, compliments, and totally accept words of advice given in a friendly and positive manner. Negativity is not welcome here. I love all of my darling devotees and would never want to hurt you. I hope you feel the same way, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Polyvore: Inspiration centre

Popular Posts

Welcome!

"Come with me,
and See this World,
Through the eyes
of an Ordinary Girl"

An Ordinary Girl's World is a blog for stylish and artistic teens, college students and young adults, creatively finding their way in this world. Its about expressing yourself through your personal style, your lifestyle, your relationships and friendships.
This site will feature articles on fashion, love and life in general, with topics ranging from the latest trends in fashion, beauty and lifestyle, personal style, artistic inspiration pieces and real life survival guides.
Email address:
aury4eva@gmail.com


About Me

Frannie
Hello! I am Frannie a.k.a Frances Anne and I am a 21 year old Catholic Missionary. I am Nigerian but have lived all over the world and I currently live and serve in the U.S. I love God, others and life in general. I bubble over with joy everyday and would love to share my joy with you.
View my complete profile

My Devotees


Say Hey My darlings

Say Hey My darlings
Have questions, comments? Need advice? Feel free to email me:aury4eva@gmail.com

I love my darlings

I love my darlings
from Canadieren

Follow AOGW with bloglovin

Follow An Ordinary Girls World: Fashion, Love, Life

Want to receive posts by email?

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Go Green too, darlings